The National Council of Pi Alpha Alpha approved the establishment of a Pi Alpha Alpha Chapter at the Maryland School of Public Policy in October 1999. Pi Alpha Alpha (PAA) is the national honor society formed to recognize and promote excellence in the study and practice of public affairs and administration. PAA is dedicated to the following:
- Encouraging and recognizing outstanding scholarship and accomplishment in public affairs and administration.
- Promoting the advancement of education and practice in the art and science of public affairs and administration.
- Fostering integrity, professionalism, and creative performance in the conduct of governmental and related public service activities.
PAA membership recognizes those students with the highest performance levels in educational programs preparing them for public service careers. Eligibility guidelines are as follows:
- Masters Degree students: 3.7 GPA or higher and the completion of at least 50% of the required degree coursework (minimum of 18 semester hours).
- Doctoral Degree students: Satisfaction of the requirements for Masters Degree membership or completion of all the requirements for the Masters Degree or its equivalent.
- Alumni: Satisfaction of the requirements for student membership.
Student members automatically become PAA alumni members upon graduation. Lifetime individual membership in PAA requires a $50.00 national initiation fee that entitles each inductee to an engraved certificate and lapel pin.
Students or alumni interested in becoming a member of PAA should contact C. Bryan Kempton, Director, Office of Career Services and Alumni Relations.